New Look 6217 – again!

Last weekend I completed a shirt from the New Look 6217 pattern. I completed the skirt and the cardigan in my intro to garments class last fall, so I decided to try out the top with some really cheap fabric I got on sale.

6217

As you can see no set in sleeves or anything tricky. I don’t even know what to call the fabric I used; it was definitely a woven, with a lot of drape and a little stretch. Probably some synthetic in there. I found it on sale at a big-box fabric store and bought it thinking I could practice with out wasting pricy¬†fabric (more on that later).

thumb_IMG_2445_1024

And the finished product! Very serious face here. No close ups because then you could see all the flaws, ha! I had never done a bias neckline before so that was a great learning experience. I made my bias tape really quickly and then totally forgot how to apply it so who knows how it is attached. The best part of this is the bottom hem; I used a trick I learned from my class to help a curved hem turn up. Basically you just stitch the curve before you fold up the hem and that helps the fabric ease into place. It worked wonders!

Today I went to my local fabric store (where I take my classes) and spent WAY too much on fabric. I bought a stretch jacquard that was $38 a yard!! Eep! They were having a sale at least, but it was just so darn pretty. I couldn’t leave without it. I also snagged some $2 patterns and a bias tape maker.

In non-sewing related news I’m trying to spruce up our teeny tiny bathroom. Last weekend I used a million different cleaning methods to scrub the bathtub before settling on baking soda and vinegar. And this weekend I decided to tackle the window that sits in our shower. This window needs some serious TLC. The paint is very chipped and wood might be starting to rot – we couldn’t even open it until last summer. It really just needs a new coat of mildew resistant paint. But first….

IMG_0595

I’ve been stripping the paint of this all afternoon – I had to take a break before my arms fell off or the fumes got to me. Hopefully I’ll have this finished up tomorrow! DIY or die!